NAYLOR TEAL – 1831 - 1895


Naylor Teal was the youngest child of Joseph and Betty Teal of Yeadon, born there on the 23rd May 1831 a twin with his brother Stephen Teal.  They were both baptised at Guiseley Parish Church on the 21st August 1831. 


His schooling details are unclear, however it is likely he received an education as part of the Methodist Sunday school system, and he could read and write and understood music.  Philemon Slater in his book ‘History of the Ancient Parish of Guiseley’ published in 1880 states about Yeadon:


“The building still known as the New School was erected in 1824 by the Wesleyans and other benevolent persons for the education of Methodist children on Sundays, and those and all others on week-days”


A hand-written music book dating from 1845 was discovered in Fenwick House near Doncaster (see Chapter 7  for details of the Teals of Fenwick House) belonging to Naylor his twin Stephen and brother John.







































Text Box: Pages from Music Book belonging to John, Stephen and Naylor Teal of Yeadon in 1845 (September 1998 in the possession of Nancy Elsom (nee Teale) of Barnby Dun, Doncaster)


Naylor appears to have initially worked for his father who was a cloth manufacturer until his death in 1853 when he set-up on his own, he was employing three people by the time of the 1861 Yeadon census.  By 1871 he was a cotton warp agent and is later described as a commission agent.  These jobs all involved the buying and selling of cloth or the materials required to make cloth.


On 26th April 1852 Naylor married Mary Ann Shelden at Otley Registry Office.  Mary Ann was born at Rawdon daughter of William Shelden, a stonemason.  She had previously been working as a house servant to the North family of Jer Fold, Yeadon.  Just over two months later on the 5th July she had a miscarriage, a girl.  It is likely that Mary Ann was pregnant at the time of the marriage and there is some evidence that Naylor may have tried to disguise this fact.  Naylor purchased a large leather-bound bible in the 1860s, the family register located in the centre, which was completed in his hand makes his wedding date over one month earlier than it actually was.  Was this a genuine mistake or was he trying to add time to make the pregnancy fit within his marriage?  Whatever the reason we must not judge him harshly, the perception today of the Victorian age as a time of restrictive moral values was in fact rarely the case.


The family bible, bound in calf and measuring 26cm by 33cm, which continues to this day to record family events, left the male line and passed to Naylor’s granddaughter Mary Ann Goodhall (nee Teal).  By the 1970s it was showing its age, both covers had become detached, it was scuffed and scored, it also appeared to have been stored in a damp garage or shed.  It was returned to the Teal line and given to Naylor’s great grandson Stephen Michael Teal.


In 2000 the bible was restored by Leeds City Council Bookbinders.






























Text Box: Family Bible before restoration and details from first page of the Family Register




Yeadon was expanding rapidly during the 1860s / 70s as people moved into the towns and cities from the countryside it grew from a population of 4,109 in 1851 to over 6,000 in 1881.  Naylor added to this number by having three children:


-          Elizabeth was born on 8th August 1858 a twin but the second child, a girl, was still born. She married John Yeadon and had two children William Naylor Yeadon born on the 19th May 1884 and Clara Elizabeth Yeadon born on the 13th August 1890. John appears to have been a bit of rogue and plagued with money problems deserted his family, the children being brought up by their grandmother Mary Ann Teal.  Naylor’s will ensured that when he died no money went to John, Elizabeth’s legacy reads

“to my daughter Elizabeth the wife of John Yeadon during her life for her sole and separate use independently of any husband and of his debts control and engagements and she shall not have power to dispose or deprive herself of the benefit thereof by anticipation”

-          Clara born 12th November 1861 she sadly wasted away with tuberculosis for 4 years and died age 19 on the 2nd July 1881, it is said hastened by sitting on wet grass on a Sunday school outing.

-          Stephen Sheldon Teal, their only son was born in 1873.


Like his father before him, Naylor was a pillar of the local Methodist Reformed Church and Community.  After the split of the Methodist Church in Yeadon in 1853 into the Primitives and Reformers, described in a previous chapter, the Reformers went from strength to strength.  They had initially built a new chapel on the High Street in 1854/5, for which Naylor donated Ł 20 towards its construction.  This was soon found to be too small, so in 1865 they built the Queen Street Chapel, described by a contemporary as “a beautiful and commodious edifice”.  It was a square building with a gallery all the way round.  The pulpit was large enough to hold six people and a huge organ, installed in 1869, towered above it. 














Queen Street Chapel, Yeadon, Interior and Exterior, Circa 1900 (Demolished 1970)





Naylor was heavily involved in the running of the Queen Street Chapel and School as the following selected entries from the “Minute Book of the Leaders of the Wesleyan Methodist Reform Society, Yeadon” show:


March 1866

At a Leaders Meeting held in the New School it was resolved that Naylor Teal be appointed Leader to the Late John Johnson’s Class       B.Grimshaw, Chairman


1st March 1869

At a Leaders Meeting held in Queen St. Vestry It was agreed that Jonathan Richardson be Leader of William Winterburn’s Class        Naylor Teal Chairman



Naylor Teal Chairman of the Leaders Meeting


30th November 1885

It was resolved that Naylor Teal be appointed President of the Leaders Meeting


5th November 1888

Naylor Teal asked to conduct on Wednesday in connection with Mission.


12th November 1888

Proposed Bro. N. Teal, seconded Bro. Hancock, that we have a Service of Song on Nov. 25th in the afternoon for the benefit of the Choir


He was a local Methodist preacher and regularly preached at the Queen Street and nearby Swaine Green Chapels.  He also preached outside of Yeadon and was involved with the Temperance movement like his Uncle John Teal of Shipley.  He was also chaplain to the local burial board which was created in 1873.  His church school classes, for adults, were held on a Wednesday evening at 8:00 and he regularly taught around fifty people.  On the 19th September 1886 in recognition of his service he was appointed as a Trustee of the Yeadon Wesleyan Sunday School.




Naylor Teal, Circa 1890





Naylor moved in the mid 1880s into a new stone built terraced house, number 20 King Street, Yeadon, the street having been erected on land owned by his late twin brother Stephen.  He continued to be a pillar of the local community particularly with regards to his Methodist activities. 


On the 4th June 1880 a newspaper was launched to serve the district, “The Wharfedale & Airedale Observer”, previously local news had been briefly covered in the main Leeds or Otley papers.  Naylor’s name appears regularly and this gives us some insight into his activities, a selection of entries in listed on the following page:




Wharfedale and Airedale Observer Friday, February 9, 1883 Page 5, 5th Column


UNITED METHODIST FREE CHURCH - The annual Shrovetide tea in connection with this Church was held in the High Street School Room, on Tuesday last, when a numerous company was present.  After the tea a meeting was held in the Lecture Hall, over which Mr. Joseph Womersley presided, and stirring addresses were given by Messrs. N. Teale, John Driver, Alfred Slater, Thos Parsons and the Rev. A.G. Machin


Wharfedale and Airedale Observer Friday, February 2, 1883 Page 5, 5th Column


TEMPERANCE SOCIETY - On Monday evening Mr. Wm.Kyme gave a lecture in High Street Lecture Hall, on "The Christian Church in relation to the Temperance Movement".  Mr. N. Teale presided, and there was a moderate attendance.















Wharfedale and Airedale Observer

Friday, May 25, 1883

Page 5, 2nd & 3rd Column



......The corpse was borne from the cemetery gate to the chapel by members of the Silver Lane Club, and Mr. Naylor Teale conducted the service, which was very impressive.  The coffin was conveyed from the chapel to the grave by members of the cricket club.  Mr. N. Teale made a few touching remarks at the grave side, and in the immediate vicinity there was scarcely a tearless eye to be seen.......















Wharfedale and Airedale Observer Friday, December 7, 1883

Page 5, 4th Column


PRESENTATION - The members of Mr. Naylor Teale's class, connected with the free church, have presented to Mrs. J.C.White, one of its members (who is going to Australia to join her husband, who went thither almost a year ago), with a beautiful illuminated gilt album, as a token of he respect they have had for her during the time she has been a member.  There were many friends present on this interesting occasion to witness the presentation, which was made by the leader, Mr. Teale


















Wharfedale and Airedale Observer Friday, February 1, 1889

Page 5, 2nd Column


QUEEN STREET SUNDAY SCHOOLS - The annual tea and distribution of prizes of this school took place on Saturday last in the High Street Lecture Hall.  The tea, which was provided by Mrs. Rawnsley, was partaken of by a large number of friends and scholars, and the after meeting was presided over by Mr. Joseph Peel, who distributed the prizes to the scholars for regular and punctual attendance.  Addresses were given by the Rev. G. Kaines (Circuit Minister) and Mr. Naylor Teale.  Songs were contributed by Mr. Walter Pearson and Miss Laura Lee; recitations by Misses Lillian Rawnsley, F. A. D. Slater, Annie Wheatley, Nelly Myres (who was encored), Lillie Kaines and Laura Hancock.  Two dialogues from Walker's Series were also spoken, and a pianoforte duett was performed by Misses E. Marshall and Lilian Rawnsley, a solo on the same instrument being given by Master Walker.  The proceedings, which were of a pleasant character throughout were brought to a close in the usual manner.


Wharfedale and Airedale Observer Friday, May 31, 1889

Page 5, 1st Column


OPEN-AIR TEMPERANCE MEETING - Under the auspices of the Temperance Society the first of a series of open-air meetings was held in the Town Hall Square on Friday evening, when, notwithstanding the somewhat inclement weather, there was a fairly-large attendance.  The chair was occupied by Mr. Naylor Teale.  Mr Wm. Pearson of Leeds, agent for the Yorkshire Band of Hope Union, spoke for about an hour, and in the course of his remarks he adversely criticised the comments made at the recent meeting of brewers at Leeds respecting the closing of public-houses on Sundays, a movement which he strongly supported, and one which he held would be attended with beneficial results if it were put into operation in England.




























On the 30th April 1895 Naylor died in his house on King Street aged 63.  The following descriptions are taken from newspaper cuttings that are pasted into the family bible and that also come from  The Wharfedale & Airedale Observer”:


Friday, May 3, 1895, Page 5


SUDDEN DEATH OF MR. NAYLOR TEALE - We regret to have to record the death of Mr. Naylor Teale, which occurred in an awfully sudden manner on Tuesday evening last, at about half-past seven o'clock.  Mr. Teale had felt a little out of sorts for about a week, and had been taking medicine supplied by one of the local chemists, but he was able to get about as usual.  At the time stated on Tuesday night, after taking down a clothes-line, which had been hanging in the garden, he went into the house, and complained of feeling unwell, and a severe pain in the left side.  Dr. McLean was at once sent for, but before that gentleman could arrive Mr. Teale expired, it is supposed from an affection of the heart.  By Mr. Teale's death, the Queen Street society loses one of its most prominent and active workers.  He was a very acceptable local preacher, and his services in that respect were often sought, not only by his own society, but also by other denominations, his creed knowing no sectarianism, and last Sunday afternoon and evening he preached in Guiseley Town Hall, in connection with the Guiseley Mission, his evening's discourse being founded on the words "Lay aside every weight."  He was a class leader at Queen Street, a trustee, and a superintendent of the Sunday school, and his removal will be felt by that society in many and various ways. Mr. Teale would have been 64 years of age some time this month.  The funeral takes place this (Friday) afternoon.


Friday, May 10, 1895, Page 5


THE LATE MR NAYLOR TEALE - The funeral of Mr. Naylor Teale, whose sudden death we announced in our last week's issue, took place on Friday afternoon last at the Cemetery.  The deceased gentleman was held in high respect and esteem throughout the town-ship, and at the obsequies there was a large attendance of the members of the Queen Street chapel and school (with which Mr. Teale was intimately and actively connected) and also of the general public.  Mr. John Booth read the burial service.  The members of Mr. Teale's class sent a beautiful wreath, under glass case, "as an expression of esteem."  At Queen Street chapel on Sunday morning and evening last the Rev.J.E. Swallow made reference to the loss the society had sustained by the death of Mr. Teale, who, he said, had faithfully carried out the principles given utterance to by St. Paul in the words "For to me to live is Christ" (Philippians, 1st chap, 21st verse), on which Mr. Swallow founded his morning discourse.  The text of the evening sermon was the remainder of the same verse "And to die is gain"


Friday, May 17, 1895, Page 5

THE LATE MR. NAYLOR TEALE - At Queen Street chapel on Sunday morning last special reference, was again made by the preacher, Mr. Kirklands, of Horsforth, to the death of the late Mr. Naylor Teale.  The relatives of Mr. Teale were present, and in memoriam of the deceased gentleman the organist (Mr. Jno. A. Wormald) played "O rest in the Lord" and the "Dead March" and the choir sang "Blesssed are the dead which die in the Lord" and "Vital spark."


(Newspaper Unknown)

He will never be forgotten,

Never shall his memory fade,

But our thought shall ever linger

Round the grave where he is laid



He was buried at Yeadon Cemetery overlooking the tarn on the 3rd May.  His will was proved on the 8th June 1895.  His widow Mary Ann remained in Yeadon for the rest of her life dying on the 18th April 1920.  Her grandson Stephen Teal’s recollection of her are of a small slender old lady who was illiterate and sat bent over smoking a clay pipe near an open fire.

































20 King Street, Yeadon.  Final home of Naylor Teal.  He died here on the 30th April 1895.  Photographed in June 1996





























Naylor’s Gravestone in Yeadon Cemetery




In effectionate remembrance of


The beloved Daughter of



who died July 2nd 1881

in the 20th year of her age

"We all do fade as a leaf".

Also of the above


who died April 30th 1895

in his 64th year.

In the midst of life we are in death

Also MARY ANN wife of the above

who died April 24th 1920*

in her 89th year

"Her end was peace".


* Date incorrect






























Leeds Archives Aireboro Methodist Circuit 10/4

Philemon Slater - History of the Ancient Parish of Guiseley published in 1880

Illingworth – Yeadon, Yorkshire

The Wharfedale & Airedale Observer – Microfilm copies in Leeds Central Library

West Riding Registry of Deeds, Wakefield20/9/1886 Volume 22 Page 896 No:491

Aireborough & Horsforth Museum Society – Image Archive

General Register of births, deaths and marriages.

Principal Probate Registry

Teal Family Bible – Personal Collection

Jubilee Souvenir – Yeadon United Methodist Free Church 1855 - 1905